On 24th October 2018, CGSS organized a Conference on “Water Security: Issues/Way Forward on Aggression and Conservation”, at the Marriott Hotel, Islamabad. The aim of the Conference was to discuss the looming water crises in Pakistan and the mechanisms to mitigate the challenges and devise an extended policy framework, solving water scarcity issue in Pakistan that demands multi-facet solutions and needs to create public awareness through capacity-building.
Ms. Zartaj Gul - Minister of State for Climate Change was the Chief Guest of the occasion. Other guest speakers of the Conference included the following:
• Mr. Shams ul Mulk, Former Chairman, Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA)
• Advocate Ahmer Bilal Soofi – Former Federal Law Minister
• Major General Hafiz Masroor Ahmed, (Retd) – Vice President, CGSS
• Dr. Muhammad Ashraf, Director General, Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR)
• Mr. Ahmed Kamal, Chairman, Federal Flood Commission
• Mr. Zakir Hussain Dahri, National Coordinator on Water Resources, Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC)
• Dr. Muhammad Munir Ahmad, Director, Climate Energy and Water Resources Institute, National Agricultural Research Center, (NARC)
• Mr. Waseem Anwer Baig, Management Consultant / COO, Baigmann Water Company, Lahore
• Ms. Agnes Pompos- International Water Expert On Peaceful Water Sharing
The speakers at the Conference called on addressing the issue by devising multi-facet solutions.